Now that you have submitted your application to the New York State Education Department (NYSED), what would be your next step? This article will give you the timeline and the next steps before taking the NCLEX.
THE WAIT TIME
According to NYSED, the timeline for them to review your submitted documents would be six weeks from the time you complete all required documentation. But, it is not as straightforward as it may seem. If you visit the NYS Nursing page, you will see a Visa Bulletin-like information below (screen captured on 08 January 2024):
You will count six weeks from when the current date has been published. Here’s a quick example:
- Completed Date: 15 November 2023
- Current Date: 28 November 2023
- Date Change: 08 January 2024 (this is the date when the current date was published)
- Tentative Date of Result: Third or Fourth Week of February
Here’s my timeline when I applied in 2022:
- Completed Date: 09 May 2022
- Date Change: 10 September 2022
- 13 October 2022: Sent a Contact Us Form to get an update
- 18 October 2022: Received my NYS NCLEX Approval (Eligibility)
The process would take time and will not affect your work schedule if you are connected with a hospital.
ELIGIBILITY and AUTHORIZATION TO TEST (ATT)
These two words sometimes confuse nurses who are about to take the examination. But let us make this clear by differentiating them:
- This is a notification that you have been approved to sit for the NYS-NCLEX.
- The eligibility to sit for the NYS-NCLEX does NOT expire. You are not required to test within any time frame after you receive the email notification.
- After receiving this email, you may create a Pearson Vue account.
- Here’s my NYS-NCLEX Approval email received on 18 October 2022.
- AUTHORIZATION TO TEST (ATT)
- This is issued by the nursing regulatory board (NRB) after your eligibility has been granted or scheduled for an exam with Pearson VUE.
- The average length of ATT is 90 days, depending on your NRB, but it was six months during my time. You MUST take the test within the validity period or pay another fee.
- Here’s my ATT email received on 13 January 2023.
That would be a quick guide on what to expect after you have submitted your application with NYSED. In my next article, I will share details about NCLEX scheduling, how much the fees are, and reminders before you take the examination. Should you have questions, leave a comment below so I can answer them.
If you are wanted to start your NCLEX Application, you may check my previous article here.
This post is based on my experience submitting my application to the New York State Education Department (NYSED). Visit the NYSED website for updated information by clicking here.